Old 12-30-2003, 08:38 PM   #7
CADguy
AF Enthusiast

Revell Corvette C5-R kit review

Corvette C5-R - 2001 Daytona 24 Hours version
Manufacturer: Revell
Kit #: 85-2376

Overview:

This kit is to commererate the 2001 Daytona winning corvette piloted by Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell, Chris Kneifel and Frank Freon. The #2 car won 1st place over all classes. Cartograph decals are also included to make the #3 car driven by Dale Earnhardt, his son, Dale Jr. , Andy Pilgim and Kelly Collins. Along with these 2 versions, decals are included to make 2 other versions of the car raced at LeMans in 2001.

Accuracy:

Exterior: Although this kit is labeled 2001, the body is accurate for many cars from 2000, to 2003. Nearly all ducts, grilles, decals, and interior details are replicated to perfection. Race cars vary from race to race. Some of these details will have to be sorted out by the builder. Even if these minute details are overlooked, most observers will never know. The only problem with the body is that it is all one piece! This kit comes with an awesomely detailed engine, but the entire body has to come off to view it. This bothered me, so I simply cut the body into 3 pieces. The nose, hood, and cabin/rear.

Interior: I have studied these cars in some detail at many races here in Atlanta, and also in Sebring. The interior details are perfect. Computer boxes and fire control sytems are located in the proper place. As are nearly all colors called out for in the painting instructions.

Engine: This is the highlight of this kit. The engine is very well replicated for years 2000-2002. The airbox was changed in 2003, and would need changed for an exact replica. It comes with awesome Carbon fiber decals for the airbox, that with patience and MicroSol work perfectly. All hose locations are spot on also. Although it is highly detailed there is still room for super-detailing.

Fit/Finish:

The fit of this kit is wonderful. Some parts had odd mold lines, but they were very small, and easily sanded down. The tubular frame is a bit of a challenge. My suggestion is to have all parts necessary for steps 2 through 5 ready to install all at the same time. Installing all of these parts in one step is much easier than letting each step dry completely, before going to the next.
The fit of this kit was so good after buiding my first kit that on my other versions I cleaned the mold lines off of the parts on the trees, and painted all parts while they were all still on the trees. After all parts were painted, assembly took about 3 evenings to put together.
The only negative on fit was the height of the front of the car. It is much too high for a road racing car. This is easily remedied by moving the brake rotors up about 2-3mm on the spindles, and sanding the bottom of the hood to make a little room for the tires to tuck under.

Value:
The value of this kit is in the Decal sheet. One box gives you the choice of one of four cars. Each is unique and different on the outside. I paid about $12 for each of my kits, and they were well worth it. For less than half the cost of a Fujimi or Tamiya kit you get Full engine detail, full interior details, and accurate exterior details.

Aftermarket:
Many aftermarket accessories are available for this car. Photo-etched details and carbon fiber decals are available from Scale Motorsports. I have used the photo-etch sheet, and it added a much more realistic finish to the car. There are also machined aluminum parts available for under the hood from Arrowhead Specialties. And there is also a transkit, and decals available for many other race versions available from Scale Designs. The decals are a work of art and extremely easy to use.

Summary.
I really loved building each one of my 4 versions of this car. I have never built the same model more than once, and I have built 4 Corvette C5-R's. I also have plans and decals for 2 more versions. This alone is testament to the quality of this kit. It has many parts and is not for the inexperienced modeler, but an enjoyable kit for a moderately experienced builder.

I give this kit an 8/10 rating.

Last edited by CADguy; 12-31-2003 at 08:08 AM.
CADguy is offline   Reply With Quote