View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
mre4ever
AF Newbie

98 contour 2.5l dohc misfire/rough idle

im new to this thread, however, i've pretty much read almost all of the contour threads on the problems these cars have. timing chain, vacuum leak, etc. Here's my problem/s.

I bought this car 2 1/2 weeks ago. ran good, no check engine light, nothing. then I started it up one day, and it ran the rpm's up to 2500 and back down to 300. If it doesn't die, then it goes back up and down several times until its warmed up. It still does it every day. Once it's warmed up it idles where it's supposed to, around 900 -1100 rpm somewhere in there, however it's still rough. I just replaced the plugs and wires, being that's the cheapest test. No change. Does the same thing. The only other problem, that I know of is that there's a small oil leak on the back valve cover. I check the oil everyday, and it isn't even 1/2 qt low in 2 1/2 weeks. Don't think that it's related to this problem. My guess is a coil pack??? or a maf sensor??? just looking for the best direction to go, without spending big $$$$ fixing this annoyance. Thanks in advance. O, I got the check engine light flashing, and the codes when read were, misfire on 1, and 3. car running to lean/rich, and o2 sensor upstream.
mre4ever is offline   Reply With Quote