View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 07:49 AM   #52
sracing
AF Regular

Re: Re: Backpressure-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esky
Interesting...

Speaking of header systems, do you hv any experience with 4-1 shortie headers? Some claimed that they found this to be the best compromise between 4-2-1 & normal long 4-1 headers.
Yes, but it's not quite so easy to make that generalization. All things being equal, the 4:2:1 are going to provide a wider HP band. Long pipes more HP at lower RPM's and short ones at higher RPM. But the size of the pipe and the merge point are going to determine the total performance.
BTW, I am not a header expert. My expertise is only in doing tests for header companies.

This much I have learned... In general, headers for street cars are typically of the worst quality product we come across. From ALL companies. They are typically poorly welded, ill designed and a wild tuning compromise. Part of this is due to the design of the cars they must fit into and the attmepts to make them installable. But for the most part the only headers that we have seen that fit well, are built well AND provide appreciable gains are those that are designed for full out race cars. All work to some degree, but are not optimum.

Jim
SR Racing