View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
gcloud
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 97 Deville - Center Digital Dash Does Not Display

I just wanted to let everyone know the outcome of the repair to my Cadillac 97 Deville - Center Digital Dash Does Not Display opportunity. It has been about 2-weeks since I began this project which resulted in several replies on this forum that I have read and considered. While many may not consider following that path that I chose to take I will present it here for others with the same or similar problems to consider, since in my case it saved me a considerable amount of repair cost and did achieve solving my original problem. I did discover certain things in the process such as the fact that Cadillac seems to have tied their theft deterrent system to include the dash as well as the well know pass key that disables the ignition system if defective. My repair path which worked for me allowed me to retain the original automobile mileage, which in my case was only 60,700 miles on the odometer as well as not having to resort to the dealership or aftermarket add ons or modification to the system.

I found on e-bay a replacement 97 Deville Speedometer Instrument Cluster for a total cost that included shipping of just over $30.00. It was listed with an accurate and honest description stating a mileage of 149,000 along with the stock # and model number. As I mentioned in an earlier attempt to get assistance from this forum after installing it the display did work, but when I tried to start the car it gave the ignition disabled message. To solve this problem I disassembled my original unit and the replacement. If you do this you will find basically 4 assemblies with the rear case in which they mount. Since I only needed the center Speedometer readout section I used the one from the replacement Cluster and reassembled my original Instrument Cluster. It worked. I realize that my case may be unique, but I doubt it.

I have enjoyed the use of this forum and the advice of previous users that have helped me. Even if this repair had cost 5 times this amount I feel I came out ahead by saving money and learning more about the automobile. Also after reading hundreds or perhaps thousands of fourms I find that many leave the reader hanging - wondering the outcome of a certain problem. Feel free to contact me if you would like further information.
gcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gcloud For This Useful Post:
MuscleMustang96 (01-29-2013)