View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
ksubenny
AF Newbie

Help please...Screwed up replacing CPS, did I ruin the distributor also?

Ok so here's what happened. As I was replacing the camshaft position sensor on my 95 blazer with horizontal distributor cap, I bumped the starter to rotate the distributor around so the slots would align and I could remove the sensor. At this point I had one screw out and one screw slightly engaged....and it wasn't engaged enough and the sensor caught on that metal cup that the rotor mounts to, it rotated about 20 degrees and bent part of that metal mounting plate. I got the old sensor out(now broke) and installed the new one and thought I had that mounting surface flat and aligned, but when I got everything hooked back up and tried to start it....no go. It will turn over and crank fine, and it will catch but it only sounds like its firing on either 1 or possibly 2 cylinders. The rotor is keyed so it can't go on backwards, and I numbered the wires and I double checked those and the plug wires are hooked up correctly. I've taken the distributor back off about 3 times trying to work on the metal mounting plate and can't seem to make any progress. I'm guessing that the rotor mounting plate is tweaked enough for the rotor not to align properly and therefore the spark can't transfer from the rotor to the cap. Did I ruin the distributor and now have to replace that as well....or is there something else that may be happening here? I'm going to have to see if I can borrow one of the neighbor's cars tomorrow if I need to go and get a distributor, which is going to be complicated by it being Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is my only car and can probably borrow a vehicle from the neighbor for a parts run, but really need it running for work on Monday.
ksubenny is offline   Reply With Quote