View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 11:36 AM   #1
LaTtE`X
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to LaTtE`X
Tamiya Land Cruiser VX 80 Limited (Progress)

Hi! This is my first progress thread in AF, and I'm going to show you my Tamiya 1990 Land Cruiser VX 80 Limited.

As for history, this model of the Land Cruiser was the first in a beautiful series of the Toyota Land Cruiser that ran from 1990 - 1998. Until the Prado variant came out in 1999 (correct me if I'm worng), this LC body shape was used by Toyota and Lexus as its premiere SUV model.

The kit was bought way back in 1995. Two years later I decided to start on this model, but I knew little of car modelling back then and straight out spray painted the body without sanding, priming, nor even cleaning the kit! Talk about a bad case of orange peel! I then made the stupid mistake of misplacing the kit decals (which were misplaced in school stuff) and never found it until 3 years later (whereon I thought about continuing the kit. Later on I lost a rear spring coil of the kit, which is a very important part of its suspension, thus my other thread in this forum regarding that matter.

Now, another 2 years later, I found out about AF.com, and I must admit I got encouraged to continue my kit because of this forum, especially hearing how people praised Tamiya kits. I figured I shouldn't waste this kit, so I've gotten more hope now, and this is it.

Here are the "before" pics of that orange-peely-spraypainted body of the LC. Don't be fooled, that surface might look smooth but it's not! It also has bad masking tape residue after being baked in my closet (way before I discovered Tamiya masks). I live in a warm tropical country, which is sometimes model-unfriendly.

Dont worry about the front grille and the bumpers, I did NOT make the mistake of attaching those at once
LaTtE`X is offline   Reply With Quote