View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Re: 1998 Sentra won't start

To jump from the ignition switch is not likely, because I don't believe your issue is at the ignition switch. It's more likely that the Starter solenoid or its connections are a little corroded. Before you get stuck again, I'd suggest jacking up the vehicle, use jack stands for backup. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Then go down to the starter and remove both of its connections. Use a wire brush to clean the posts on the starter and the wire ends the best you can. Inspect them... Do they look corroded? Is there white or green deposits on them? Be sure to remove all the corrosion you can because this will keep you from getting the best possible connection. It also prematurely wears out your starter, ignition switch & battery cables. If you can't reach the connections on the starter with it bolted, unbolt the starter. It'll be easier to clean off & inspect the solenoid anyway.

I know it seems like a PITA, but better to do it on your own terms & not get stuck someplace.

Next time, if there is one, if the vehicle doesn't start. Verify (need a buddy) that you have 12v at the little post on the solenoid ...when buddy is cranking. If the starter isn't cranking, you're buddy can hold that switch as long as he likes without the threat of hurting anything, while you are checking for voltage. If you have 12v when buddy is cranking,.. Ign. switch is definitely good. Then, you verify 12v at big post... and then verify good ground on the body of the starter.

If all checks out good, you definitely need a starter.

I posted all the info now, so that if in the future you need it, it's ALL right here. I'm glad it's up & running at least. Sorrry for the delay in responding. Too much work. LOL