View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

Re: 93 Geo Metro belt Squeal

I have a '93 Metro 3 cyl 5 speed.

I have never had any problem - EXCEPT....

When I run all the electrical crap like Headlights, Heater Fan, Radio, Rear Window Defogger, etc all at once.

or

If I leave the lights on for even a few minutes after killing the engine.

Also - if your battery is old and won't hold a full charge.

My Metro leaks oil all over the engine and Alternator Belt and still doesn't squeal except as mentioned above.

If it starts squealing after I start the engine, I turn everything off and the squealing stops.

I let the engine run fast for a while to get the Belt to stop squealing and it usually stops squealing permanently.

Do you have a power "Leak" ?....This could be your main problem - disconnect a cable and put an ammeter between
the battery and the cable when the engine is off.
If you see any drain, you have a leak draining your battery.

As someone said, the Metro Alternator and Belt setup are not made to put out a lot of power for dead batteries and accessories.

If your Belt squeals after starting the engine and nothing electrical is turned on, then it is fairly obvious
that you have a bad battery or an electrical drain on the battery and the Alternator is running
under a heavy load charging the Battery.

Also, my water pump has not been changed since I purchased the car maybe 4 years or more ago....

I use the Flat Belt with several ridges running along the length...Schuck's.

If my battery is down at all - I put a battery charger on it overnight so that my Alternator is not taxed.

Perhaps your problem is:

A. Bad Battery
B. Bad Alternator
C. Using excessive (for a Metro) electrical power.
D. Glazed pulleys and/or Alternator Belt.
E. Some drain on the Battery that runs it down when the engine is not running...
D. All of the above together.

The Belt would not be squealing were the Alternator not loaded up.....maybe it is time to install an "ammeter"
to keep track of what is going on....

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

DoctorBill

"TEA" - Taxed Enough Already !

Last edited by DOCTORBILL; 04-14-2009 at 10:25 AM.
DOCTORBILL is offline   Reply With Quote