View Single Post
Old 12-29-2021, 07:06 AM   #27
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Is This Tire Pressure Chart Legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
Well, I would beg to differ when it came to the stiffness of the vinyl upholstered bench seat in my old 1981 Buick in winter, lol! Like rocks.

In summer, it was soft and supple by comparison.

So rubber, like the composition in tires at least, is less susceptible to such variations?

Additionally Barry, I have forward the original table to the USTMA:

“Greetings:

I am writing to inquire if the attached tire pressure table
originated from the USTMA or its predecessor, the RMA
(Rubber Manufs).

I found it on a car repair site/blog, and it seems to be
generating lots of confusion, and outright hostility, among
those who have viewed it, regarding what the chart might
be suggesting.

I interpret it as suggesting that operators of cars and light
trucks inflate their tires, during colder temperature months,
to pressures up to 7psi higher than they would during
hotter months.

I would appreciate your assessment of this table, its origins,
the intent of information displayed, and succinctly, its
overall validity.

Thanks and kind regards,”

I should hopefully have a response from them by next week, as much of their office are on traditional Christmas-New Years holiday break this week
Do not be surprised if USTMA doesn't respond.

First, they are very wary of potential lawsuits and this query kind of sounds like a lawyer trolling.

Second, the source of this table said he got it FROM a similar table from the RMA. He didn't even credit the RMA on the chart in any way. So it's not the exact table RMA is reported to have published. If I were in their shoes, the only response I would give is to point out that the table didn't come from the USTMA and make no more comment than that!

Third, Here's a copy of USTMA's manual for truck and bus tires: https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...BusTires_0.pdf

If that chart (or some form of it) isn't in there, then either the RMA never published it, or they feel it is obsolete. I've looked through this and don't find anything that resembles the chart. That and the fact that I didn't find the chart (or something similar) doing a google image search convinces me that the webmaster is wrong about where he got the chart - and I'll bet he is misremembering. I certainly don't want to accuse him of falsifying the source to give it more credibility - which he has only done in an email to you.

Visit my website: http://www.barrystiretech.com/
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote