Thread: Hard starting
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #14
dingobait
AF Regular

Re: Hard starting

This issue is apparently fuel-pressure related.

The fuel pump runs for 2 seconds once the key is turned to the on position (the position before cranking) which primes every cylinder with a short burst of fuel, and then the computer figures out which cylinder is likely to fire first based on the crankshaft position sensor and other inputs/calculations.

In my case, if I wait the 2 seconds until the pump turns off before I crank the engine, it starts normally every time.

That leads me to reason that I could possibly have a fuel injector that's letting the pressure bleed off, or there could be a leak in the return line that's part of the pump assembly in the fuel tank.

I saw some pics of a fuel pump with a return line that had been torn during installation causing the fuel pressure to drop to zero immediately after the engine was turned off. The pressure shouldn't drop that much.

I read up on how to check for a leaky injector which involves removing the fuel rail with all of the injectors still attached, and then jumping the fuel pump relay for a few seconds before cutting it off so you can see if any of the injectors leaks fuel.

I've considered buying a fuel-pressure gauge so I can see just how much pressure is bleeding off, but I'm not sure that would lead me to which component it might be. Injectors are $85 each (x6), and the fuel pump is around $400, so it's a gamble to just replace either.

I may take a look at that soon, but for now this really isn't a problem.

I wait the 2 seconds until the pump stops (feels more like 3-4 secs), at which time I also hear what sounds like a relay click once (fuel pump relay?) and then I crank it and it starts right up every time and runs great.

I can always wait the 2 seconds.

It hasn't adversely affected my gas mileage, I have no CEL, and I also got CA smog-checked 2 days ago and passed with flying colors even at 287K miles with all of my original equipment including both catalytic converters. Pretty cool.

If the return line on the pump is leaking a tiny bit and this is the only issue it causes, then that's really not problem since it's not like the fuel is leaking onto the ground.

I'm still going to keep inspecting lines and watching for anything unusual, but at the moment this isn't something that needs to be torn into in my opinion.

Sometime soon I'm going to see if this issue is still intermittent like it was before I started starting it this way every time. If it's still intermittent, then it appears the pressure bleed off is likely small.

Any input welcomed. I'm going to live with this for a while unless it disappears on it's own.

Mark
dingobait is offline   Reply With Quote