View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Pythagorus
AF Newbie

Re: Eurocossie4x4turbohelp

Hi you have obviously been flooded with replies (smile). I presume you are from Vincenza Italy. There are clubs, still, for Cosworth but my experience with clubs is they feel entitled to have everything for nothing from non members and ask everything for very little when selling. There is a Cosworth parts dealer in France but parts are expensive there....I can't recall where it is...somewhere around Brive I think. I own a Cosworth 4x 4 Sierra in France......not high mileage, been on blocks since 2007. I bought and stored parts buying off eBay but only buying opportunely....don't rush in and pay top dollar...and don't get into bidding wars....'new chums' (and vendors racking up the prices).....there's nothing that doesn't come up numerous times over say 6 months or a year. I don't think much of the 4 door for looks but the basis is there for a good road car (including rear wheel drive) if you just run it 'standard' and bring it up to scratch with Bilsteins/Konis, replace the suspension parts and tyres if more than a couple of years old, buy the best tyres you can afford. Experiments done by a top suspension place in NSW on a New (last of) 351 Ford showed that with best tyres and shocks the sway bars could be taken off...compromises are of course a part of road car design. The weak link in the 4 x4 is the transfer case....and they fail around 350Hp but then...really..who needs 350Hp??....Pud-pullers generally get into that and then the over-spent car is sold-off . Leave it standard and put money into restoring it if it's in good shape....As for the kit...no idea....kits were expensive but add little to car value afterwards but may make it a faster sale. I reckon the SAAB Aero is a better performing , set-up, safer car and ergonomic car. It was the best set up front wheel drive car bar none. I drove Turbo R5's in France which would leave the Cosworth for dead and the Aero too however torque steer can be lethal when you put the boot into the car and it changes sides of the road....in other words some front wheel drive cars are inherently dangerous...the SAAB wasn't. I still have my 2.3 Turbo Carlsson (1991) and sold off the beautiful Aero....I also have an 'end of the run' anniversary and would take the SAAB over any Ford any day...That said, as a rear wheel drive the BMW are better cars than Coswoth but the Cosworth 4 x 4 as I said can be a very good road car, make sure turbo cooling is good and respect the car, as they die out...and they are....it will become a rarity/oddity and parts prices will drop. I was buying what I bought back around 2006/7. The XR4 is a much better looking car than the Sierra Sapphire in my opinion but the V6 is a dog of an engine in any car. They only look good in Red or Green (less common) .....my Cosworth is grey!!...the most boring colour ever put on cars, other than white but....I never intended to leave it on blocks so long and will have to do considerable motor preparation when I get back there..... I went to France again in 2011 intending to do that and found I'd brought the wrong keys!...I don't know if any of that helps....years after your posing. Voila, Tony
Pythagorus is offline   Reply With Quote