View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 07:42 AM   #8
Peter Solarik
AF Newbie

To Flatrater - Cause Hard Shifting, cracked covers..

Thank you Flatrater for your extensive report, including the pictures of the culprit solenoid. You really 'bent backwards' to inform us more in detail about the hard shifting problems and how the trans works.
I took the car back yesterday and complained about the noticebly hard steering. The did not raise any objections, put the car up on the hoist and found what they did wrong during re-assembly. There is some ruber sleve which they did not positioned right and this sleeve was rubbing against the steering linkage (or something like that).
Took them two hopurs to correct it. (No charge of course). The car is back to easy steering.
I already gave them the welded covers. If I knew that the locations of the cracks would be of interest to you, I would take a digital photos of the 'Before and After' repair/weld. Just to satisfy your proffesional curiosity, I will go back there with camera and ask them whether they would not mind to take the pictures. I am afraid that they may be concerned and suspicious what are my intentions with the pictures. You understand.
I will try.
The owner too showed me the solenoid that they removed from my car. The needle was stuck even when he applied reasonable air pressure to it.
BTW,the crack was around the bolt hole, I had to cut (using a tool grinder) the whole area out, (about 1.5" around the hole - counterbore for the bolt), and slowly build up the cavity. Both cracked covers had almost identical hairline cracks in the same area. I see this as a weak point in the casting. If any of you guys are welding the aluminum covers and other componenets, get rid of the standard TIG machines. I was welding the covers with a new Miller Dynasty 300 series machine that allows you to set your pulses, HF intensity and you use 2% Thoriated Tungstens with the tip sharpened to the point ! This will allow you to put the heat exactly and sharp point to the spot you are welding. I am really impressed with this new welding technology. (Dont take this as an advertisement for Miller) (:-)
To make the long story short, my car is fixed, and I hope that the transmission will be free of trouble for at least next 30.000 miles.
Therefore I am trying to keep a good realtions with the shop that done the repair - not knowing when I will need them again!
Next time I will charge them for the welding job.