Thread: GSR or CR-V????
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2003, 01:32 AM   #57
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Okay, I'll quickly explain what "closing the deck" is. Have you seen the inside of a honda motor? how surrounding the cylinder walls is.....a space of air between the outside cylinder walls and the rest of the block. It's not connected there? That is an open deck design. A lot a motors ment for heavy boost are of a closed deck design, that space of air isn't there. The outter cylinder walls connect to the block right there, no space. It's "closed" instead, directly conncting. This is a closed deck design. The closed deck = more reinforcement, more stable, it allows more boost as a result.A lot of the turbocharged Nissan engines have a closed deck design. You can run boost levels on a closed deck design that generally harm open deck design, especially when you consider then open deck design on a honda was not design with a turbocharger in mind. Re-Sleeving, is where you put in new sleeves, with thicker walls, to allow more stablitiy during forced induction apps. You can re-sleeve and still have an open deck design. What you are doing is not closing the deck, but bacially making the cylinder walls thicker. Then, some people do both. I persoanllyl feel safer closing the deck, vs just resleeving. I've seen some bad jobs re-sleeving.

The Internals, okay...this refers to....suprise...the internal componets of the motor. Replacing the Connecting Rods with new, stronger ones. Putting in stronger pistons (lower comprssion ratio for forced induction apps). The Vavles, springs, etc...put in new, stronger components there too. Thes are examples of replacing the internals. The Stock Honda Crankshaft should do you fine, so don't worry about that. Then you can also port and polish the head, the intake and exhaust ports to improve airflow. Better airflow = more HP. Also, a 3 or 5 anlge vavle job does also helps. I hope these examples help explain some of the terms I have been using a little bit.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote