View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #11
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Cranks but won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandude View Post
...Fuel pressure primes at 61 psi, cranking at 55 psi, good spark, I sprayed start fluid down intake and one cylinder while I had plug out to check spark and plug was dry. Crank engine and not even a hint of it trying to start, I am stumped...and stranded.
Your 61 PSIG reading KOEO is sufficient, but 55 PSIG may be insufficient to operate the injector poppets during cranking. According to the factory manual 55 PSIG is the minimum regulated pressure for the system while the engine is running, or in other words, when vacuum is applied to the pressure regulator in the intake pod. My own experience with CPFI systems from pickups to Blazers to Astros is that 58 PSIG is the minimum for reliable starting.

It may help to connect a second battery (jump) or large charger/starting unit to maintain battery voltage during cranking so the pump can develop the required 58 PSIG.

Considering that you report a "good spark" and the fact that you applied starting fluid (presumably ether) and got no response is not a complete surprise. Ether evaporates quickly, and unless the throttle body was open it is questionable whether any ether actually made it into any cylinder(s) to allow the engine to fire. It may be more effective to prime the engine with a small amount of fresh liquid fuel instead. This has proven more effective for me but must be done carefully, especially considering the plastic intake which could be less tolerant of backfire. Perform this at your discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandude View Post
No pressure. The passkey anti-theft "security" light is flashing and cutting off the fuel. Engine cranks though. I tried the re-learn reset procedure and it doesn't work. What and how to test next?
If the SECURITY warning is flashing the VTD may be in tamper mode. If you have a scanner available you should be able to read a DTC B3031.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
catmandude (01-29-2017)