View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
TvD

Re: Porsche 917LH - Le Mans 1970 - Ahrens/Elford - MFH - 1/24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc911 View Post
Interesting results. I too have read about preshading; primarily used with military models. The results always seem too subtle to be worth it though, but perhaps it's just the pictures. What are your feelings? Was it worth the effort? Is it really visible?
The result is indeed very subtle and hard to capture on camera. Although I might do another run with even lighter gray to make it more noticable. I probably will use this more often, but only on interiors and underside's of cars as I don't think it will work on the body.

Beside the cockpit I've started work on the engine as well. We all know by know Hiro sometime adds “crazy” details to some of his kits and this one is no exception. The first picture shows the inside of one of the cylinder heads. The green arrow on the left points to one of the valves whereas the one on right points to a spark plug.

Sadly these details disappear on step 1 of the manual....

On the the building of the engine then. Below all the main components have been glued together. On the left side the PE which represents the cooling ribs has been added already.

The entire block was then primered and painted black. After drying I drybrushed it with Tamiya XF-16. Again most of what you see here will be covered later on:

Some other parts recieved a coat of Alclad burnt iron. I dryfitted these for the next picture. You can already see the main block disappear...

TvD is offline   Reply With Quote