Thread: Where are they?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2002, 12:04 PM   #13
dallas4u
AF Newbie

Smile

I just registered on this forum to reply to this post. I have a '99 VehiCROSS and love it! The VX (as the owners like to call it) is definitely not for most, and there are many reasons why Isuzu hasn't (and won't) sell many.

First off, and most importantly, Isuzu only produces around 5000 per year, and only imports half of thoe for the US market... meaning about 2500 per year, or like 200 per month. That, my friends, is about the same numbers as a Ferrari!!

Secondly, Isuzu is hand crafted and uses ceramic dies to stamp the body panels in the manufacturing process. This process is very accurate and cheaper than cast iron dies, but the cermaic only lasts a few years. As of 2001, I believe Isuzu will not produce the VX anymore, making it a very limited production SUV.

The VX also has 8.5" of ground clearance stock, pulls .85g's, and has unique aluminum shocks (front and rear) with a seperate oil reservoir. The VX has a sport suspension to match a sportscar and has the offraord ability to definitely hang with the Jeeps on the trails. It will also whip arse in baja racing!

Plus, the VX is a true body-on-frame truck... not a cute-ute unit-body car like the Rav4 or CRV. That is most of the reason behind the almost 2 ton weight. It is the real deal.

As for mods... there really aren't many. Many owners congregate at a VX owners forum and have had to have many mods custom made since many companies don't want to make aftermarket products for a SUV numbering no more than 15,000 world-wide. I have a supercharger kit coming in for mine any time now from a TRD (Toyota Racing Development) company in California... hence what I said before. Not many companies want to take the time to make something for a small amount of vehicles.

Oh, and the VX isn't even rate for towing. Many people have bolted a tow hitch to the frame to do some light towing, but the VX isn't rated for a specific amount, and wasn't made to tow in the first place. It's supposed to be a fun SUV. You are supposed to USE it!

Here is a link to my page on SoundDomain. It only has a couple pics of the exterior, but also a few of my stereo and amp install.
dallas4u is offline   Reply With Quote