View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Dudesky_E36
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
Re: Anyone have 1992 325i, I have a question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzrok
early e36's are junk for the most part. The break down often and the interior just doesn't hold up under normal wear and tear, and they have TONS of electrical problems. Are you SET on an e36? If you are looking at an older model BMW, check out a 91. e30's are awesome cars, they hold up well, and are easy to repair yourself. I have beat the heck out of my little girl and she just keeps on ticking.

Kristin
Excuse you, but my '92 325i is doing just fine with 145k miles. It has never left me stranded, and my interior is pristine, except for a couple of carpet stains. And the only electrical problem I've had recently is a dirty connection at the coolant level sender. I don't know where you got your info from, but any car will have problems if you don't take care of it. Earlier E36's are no different than newer ones as far as maintenance; they're just older and nowadays need more replacement parts than the more recent models, for obvious reasons.

Now, when you compare an E36 to an E30, I will agree- the E30's were a lot tougher. This is because E30 (and prior) engineers used complex math equations and heavy field testing to figure out required strength and durability, then they would double or triple the outcome, resulting in a fairly bulletproof car. Not so with the E36, which proved to be somewhat less reliable than the models before or after it, for two main reasons. The E36 is the very first BMW in history to be designed on CAD, and instead of extensive testing, they relied on the program to determine how robust a part or system should be. Secondly, they were engineered with recycling in mind. Which is a bit of an irony, since many owners can make these cars last upwards of 250-300 thousand miles.

As far as VANOS or non-VANOS, later engines equipped with it will give you a little better mileage, but the top half of the earlier non-VANOS engines are much beefier and more robust. It's a tradeoff, and you can go either way with this. I personally don't believe the mileage savings is significant enough. To give you an idea, I average about 17-18 city, and about 26-27 highway, but I haven't tuned this car in a while.