View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 05:54 AM   #10
White Lightening
AF Regular

Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

I'm just a bit amazed at some of the comments. It appears Chevy Truck mileages aren't too bad compared to some other truck lines. I had expected the range to be slanted more to the 13-14 mpg range for highway because most trucks (at least in Western WI) are all 4x4.

Also - in my 3500 miles of driving mine - I find that my optimum speed range was around 50 to 62 mph. When my speed is 65 to 70, my mileage seems to drop about 8% to 10%. Again - I attribute that to my axle ratio and engine combination (where the torque and power bands are). I have a 6 liter high output engine with a 3.73 axle ratio - I just wonder why the SS has the same engine with a 4.10 ratio. I was told it was so it would be good as a "stoplight" takeoff benefit - but it seems it would penalize the mileage and power band curve greatly (be like a tractor - all low end "granny gear" type).

I don't understand why full size Chevy 1500 series trucks with V8s should be getting similar mileages as Colorados and Rangers and Dakotas (in fact - Dakotas and Durangos seem to get 16, 17 range).

Would love to know how someone gets 22 to 25 in a small V8. My driving style is good for getting decent mileage - I just like the idea of tweeking it up a few notches in mpg. don't know about anybody else - but I got alot of "why would you get a full size truck, they are such gas hogs?" type comments when I bought - yet my highway mileage as a rwd truck is the same as my Explorer AWD was (20.5). Very much liked the Explorer - but love my Chevy Truck.

White Lightening