Thread: FAQ Thread!
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 10:36 PM   #4
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
Wow that is a nice list KrNxRaCer00

Seeing how I get so many emails ,PM's and AIM'S about nitrous I will explain about that so that hopefully any questions can be answered here

Q: How does nitrous work?
A: Nitrous supplies the extra oxygen needed to burn extra fuel, which creates more hp. Nitrous is 2 nitrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom held together by a chemical bond. When the nitrous enters your combustion chambers, the heat makes the nitrogen release the oxygen that is needed to burn the extra fuel that is being supplied.

Q: What are the different types of Nitrous kits?
A: There are two basic kinds, 1 being "DRY" and the other being "wet".
Lets start with the "DRY" kits. A dry kit is a nitrous kit that supplies nitrous only into the intake tract of the motor, usually the intake pipe. The extra fuel that is needed to create the extra hp is supplied by the stock fuel injectors, the dry nitrous kit increases your fuel pressure to accomplish this. These kits are the easiest to install, but provide questionable power gains. They are good for up to 75hp.

Now lets talk about a "wet" nitrous kit. A wet nitrous kit supplies both nitrous and the extra fuel together in one nossle. This nossle mixes the nitrous and fuel together so that it becomes a mist of nitrous and fuel. Now a big difference between the dry and wet kits are that the wet kit can be upgraded to unlimited amounts of hp. There are two types of wet kits also you have a single nossle fogger and you have a direct port kit. The single nossle kits are the most common kits used, it is one nossle that is installed into your intake pipe, no closer than 6". The direct port kits are ( for our application) 4 nossles that are plumbed into your intake manifold. One nossle goes in each runner on the intake manifold. The single nossle foggers are good for 25-80hp, some have pushed alot more, but above 80hp you should really get a direct port kit it will be safer because it distributes the nitrous more evenly to the cylinders.

Q: what does NOS stand for?
A: NOS is not a term used to describe nitrous. NOS stand for Nitrous Oxide Systems, which is a company owned by Holley that makes nitrous kits. PLease reframe from typing in NOS for anything other tan Nitrous Oxide Systems topics. You can use N20 or Juice or spray etc.

Q:How big of a shot can my car take?
A: Depeding on the condition of your motor, you can go by a 20hp per cylinder calculation. This is for motors that are in good condition. So for tegs it would be 80hp. Now my personal opinon on this is that anything above a 55 hp shot of nitrous should be a wet kit, but alot of people will disagree and alot will agree. I just feel that the way the dry kits supply the extra fuel is questionable. My

Q: Nitrous and high C/R
A: Nitrous loves high C/R. Unlike turbos and superchargers nitrous can be used on motors that have high compression ratios. But it must be tuned more percise, than if you were using a lower c/r.

Q: What do I need to do to prepare for nitrous?
A: The absolute things are non-platinum sparkplugs, doing a compression check of the motor, and making sure you timming is set to the stcok specs. For anything 50hp and under you need to also retard the timming 1 degree. For 50-75 you need 1-2 degrees retard and one step colder sparkplugs, and for 80-100 hp you need 2-4 degrees retarded timming and 2 step colder sparkplugs. Some things that will need to be upgraded to accomidate the nitrous better are an aftermarket intake sytem, header, exhaust, motor mount inserts, new clutch, better tires. For hp mevels greater than 75 you also need to install a high performance fuel pump, Walbro makes a nice 190lph and 255lph and they are rather cheap in price but good quality. An adjustable fuel pressure rgulator will also be needed with anything above a 75hp shot.

Q: Best plugs for nitrous.
A: I have found that NGK plugs are the best plugs for nitrous. Some people like the ZEX brand but I perfer the NGK ones myself.

Q: Where should I install my nossle?
A: for the single nossle wet kits you should install it approx 6" from the throttle body. For Dry kits you can mount it up to 6" away from the throttle body and as far away as the airfilter box (if you still have one). For the direct port kits you need to make sure you get a trained person to install these for you unless you ahve the knowledge to do it your self. A direct port kit installed wrong can cause serious problems.

Q: Do I need a bottle heater?
A: If you are going to be using the nitrous more than 2-3 times in one night then yes. Or if you are going to be using it when the outside temp is low then yes. If you have a wet kit the you absolutely need one. It is needed to keep a constant bottle pressure. Bottle pressure should be no lower than 800 psi and no higher than 950-1000 psi.

Well that is about all the time I have for now but this post will get longer and more information will be added. If anybody has any questions that they need ansered just PM me and I will answer them both here and pm you back with a answer.

Last edited by whtteg; 12-20-2003 at 10:51 PM.