View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #30
Gazza3101
AF Newbie

Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Hi, just read the threads on the rover 75 diesel starting problems, I have the same problem, I'm mechanically minded and have so far established the following.

The car starts with easy start.
The problem only occurs when the car is hot
Both pumps are working fine
Cam sensor disconnected and easy start used to prove if cam sensor working. Once cam sensor disconnected easy start starts engine but then cuts out, reconnect cam sensor and used easy start again and engine starts and runs thus proving cam sensor working and firing diesel in at correct time.
Once the car is running it idles perfectly and revs evenly throughout the range even to The red line without an issue.
Car still maintaining an average of 50 - 55 to the gallon, no loss of power with only one exception so far, pulling off from a busy roundabout, gunned it away as the roundabout was like a racetrack, when the revs got over 4000 , she cut out ? Bottom twitching moment, pulled off, pulled bonnet, tried to start, no avail, grabbed easy start, quick squirt and started and drove fine.

I do 150 miles per day driving to work and back, motorway for 90% of it, never a problem drives perfectly.

I do love the old beast and she drives great but the mot due in April and I'm undecided as to if I should bite the bullet and give up on her or persevere and do the minor work needed for the mot and continue trying to figure this out.

Any advice guys please. Many thanks
Gaz
Gazza3101 is offline   Reply With Quote