View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
chapinbk
AF Newbie

low miles tranny, p0770, fault identification

Good day. I own an '02 Toyota Tacoma v6 3.4L 4-speed automatic. After a 2-hour highway drive (not too common, small town) the other day, I started to experience transmission issues (wouldn't always switch gears properly), and the check engine light came on. My scanner indicated P0770 (Shift Solenoid E Malfunction), a transmission fault.

I've spoken with my mechanic, and I've done some research online. My understanding is that it could be a shift solenoid, the valve body, the torque converter clutch, or even just low transmission fluid.

I have owned this truck since '05/28k miles. It now has 95k miles. At about 35k, the dealership installed a new transmission (maybe the former owner was a city-driver, or something), and I had basic dealer transmission service about 30k miles ago. I have an appointment to take it to a local shop (a Ford authorized service center, that also services other makes/models) in a few days.

Except for infrequent highway driving, I don't drive the vehicle "hard" at all. I have the vehicle fully serviced by the dealer at recommended intervals. I have been advised that if this fix requires more than basic transmission service, that I should take it to the dealership (factory tools, etc).

These are some observations about the malfunction:

1) The engine/transmission is still cold (just started the engine). I shift from P to R, to back out of my driveway. The transmission seems to be "stuck" in neutral/park. 5-10 seconds pass, finally transmission engages R gear. Switching from R to D, vehicle operates normally.

2) While driving normally, I accelerate steadily from 20-40mph. The transmission hesitates before switching from 2nd-3rd gear (peaking at 3k rpm, holding steady). When I take my foot off the accelerator slightly, then re-apply it, the vehicle shifts. (EDIT: Subsequent to this same post on another forum, I have been told that first gen Tacomas often have a cold tranny 2nd to 3rd shift hesitation, and I have seen it before, but it's arguably more noticeable since this recent problem developed.)

Question: Does anyone see a most-likely scenario in my case? The transmission has only 60k relatively "easy" miles on it. Should I waste my money on a basic transmission service at the local shop, or should I park it, and wait until it can be brought to the dealership, incase it needs more extensive repairs?

Any advice is appreciated.

Alternate thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=723867
chapinbk is offline   Reply With Quote