View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
parkerb
AF Regular

drums con't to drag after panic stop

hi all, apologies if i've overlooked an old thread but my searches yielded nothing.

2000 windstar with 265.4k miles.

I had a panic stop incident on the interstate the other day. no impact, brakes were strong. didn't think anything unusual till i got home (~7 miles from incident). strong smell of hot brakes. found the culprit to be the DR drum. ~280 degrees F. PR was half that temp.

the entire rear brake assembly (not including lines) was replaced with ford parts back in oct '13 at 212k miles.

With every tire rotation the drums are removed to inspect and check on the auto adjusting assembly.

i could get the drum off, didn't see anything remarkable. Manipulated the adjuster back and reinstalled everything. decided to flush/ bleed the rears only, again nothing remarkable, color was good.

went for a 10 miles jaunt on the interstate and again hot DR. no strong smell, but measured temp at 250 degrees.

in looking on the ford service dvd doesn't show a stand-alone proportioning valve. guess it's built into the ABS unit?

Wondering if others have had this issue before? I hope this isn't what does the old van in.

tia,
parker
parkerb is offline   Reply With Quote