View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
DJBurneson
AF Newbie

Unhappy 93' Taurus right rear brake is HOT HOT HOT!

My girlfriend and I were out driving around and suffered a flat tire and we pulled over to change it out. Before changing the tire she used the parking/emergency brake to prevent the 93' Taurus from shifting off the jack. After the tire was changed and she released the parking/emergency brake we traveled towards the grocery store not to far away. Finally, as we drove homeward, we smelled something that I'd describe as an intense electrical burning smell filling the car. We honestly thought it was another car or just something foul smelling elsewhere outside the car. When we parked the car at home I got out of the passengers side and looked down at the smoldering right rear rim/tire. We both inspected it and then tossed a small amount of water on it only to see it instantly vaporize upon contact. This problem has occurred twice before in the past but the last time it caught on fire.

I suspect the problem is maybe the parking/emergency brake is not releasing completely. Would I be correct? Any help is greatly appreciated..!
DJBurneson is offline   Reply With Quote