View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
wiswind
AF Moderator

Re: Windstar general upkeep

The Fram XG series filter is quite good......the only Fram filter that I would use.
Another filter that I really like (even better) is the Bosch Distance Plus filter.

In the "general winstar information" sticky thread, I list some of the problem areas that seem to come up over and over........so a read through that should give you some pointers.

As for those Iridium plugs.......I would ONLY use the ones that have the platinum enhancement on the ground tab.
I have not looked up NGK or DENSO plugs for the windstar to see if/what they list, but both of those companies make the Iridium electrode plugs with platinum enhanced ground tab for my Toyota Sienna.
This is very important because one bank of cylinders fires with a Positive polarity spark and the other bank fires with a Negative polarity spark.....and this causes 1 bank to wear the electrode faster and the other bank to wear the ground tab faster.
For this reason.....having different materials can cause the plugs on 1 bank to wear a gap bigger, faster than the other bank........if the ground tab does not have the harder enhancement....it is going to wear MUCH faster.
ALSO......both brands I mentioned, (while we are talking about iridium plugs) have the "standard" 0.7mm electrode.......and also have the "power plus" (Denso name) that have a 0.4mm electrode..... Careful reading on the DENSO website......the 0.7mm is rated by Denso for "up to 120K miles", whereas the 0.4mm is rated for "up to 30K miles".
BIG difference.
In spite of all the claims that both NGK and DENSO make about the smaller electrode plugs giving you more power (I am positive that I would not notice any power gain).......I sure don't want to be changing them that often....particularly not on the Sienna.

In the Windstar, I used ONLY the double platinum (electrode AND ground tab) listed in the Motorcraft or Autolite brand.

I notice that the Windstar and Sienna BOTH have Many different plugs listed on auto part store listings for the vehicle....but ONLY 1 or 2 are REALLY correct for matching OEM specifications.
My Sienna owner's manual lists both the DENSO and NGK plug numbers........and that is the only plug that I will use unless I see a TSB telling me different.
I did the same thing for my Windstar.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote