View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 12:22 PM   #38
quaddriver
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to quaddriver Send a message via MSN to quaddriver Send a message via Yahoo to quaddriver
I guess I get to deliver my .02 since the topic has drifted to truck vs truck.

Hands down, ford builds the best light truck anywhere. the 1980-1996 models are proving/have proved to be the most reliable and longest lasting - period. With GM a close second, and dodge not on the map.

and since the topic has drifted to include non-truck hardware also...I may let a few things slip.

hands down, the gen 1 SBC and the ford windsor powerplants have always been the most reliable. It was only relatively recently that 2 separate 'polls', one by Ward Automotive, the other by the SAE, have given the 'best ever' type award to the buick 3.8 (aka 3800) over the SBC. You will note that dodge does not have any motors in the 'top xx best' of anything save the cummins diesel, which they do not even build.

I saw some earlier comments about trannies....and I will say, they are mostly wet. While it is true that other makers have had certain years of certain trannys (fwiw, the 700R4 was fixed by 84 - 20 years ago, and the AXOD's red letter year was 91 - 13 years ago) - all models of all CPD trannies for all years are bad bad bad. Talk to any independant tranny shop and they will tell you that when GM or Ford corrects a model, they still have dodge to keep them in business.

If anyone needs specific examples of the strengths/weaknesses of the big 3, just ask. But suffice to say, since DC owns CPD, it would be in their best interestes to completely abandon the truck business - period and concentrate on automobiles. They have enuf design initiative coming from europe and enuf hardware coming from japan that they really could put out world class vehicles in but a few years. The truck/suv division is just dragging them down (be careful before you reply, YES, the trucks/suvs are profitable, but that business model is dependant on demand staying the same. As fuel becomes more of an issue, as well as emissions this will go away. DC/CPD does not have the resources or buyer support to permit much of a drop in sales, and does not have the cash on hand to offer the incentives GM and ford can. I predict this country will return to emphasis on sedans/wagons and DC/CPD could position itself to be waiting)
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote