View Single Post
Old 02-26-2002, 03:19 PM   #9
fritz_269
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tofuboy
I think OBDII started in late 1995 or beginning of 1996 (correct me if I am wrong).

Fritz, I am not sure what system does my car use (95 civic ex) or if it even has a ALDL since I don't have an electronic manuel. Do you kown if there is anything similar to the PDA for it?
I believe you are correct. Every car sold from Jan 1st, 1996 was required to be OBD II compliant, even if it was built in 1995. Some manufacturers began their OBD II programs early (to help get out the bugs) and even sold some OBD II cars at the end of 1994 - this includes Honda.

The easiest way to tell is to look on the bottom of your hood for an OBD II sticker. It's required to be there if you have OBD II.

If you have OBDII - any OBDII scanner should be able to read the code numbers (the magic of a standard). The car-specific ones will usually give you text information as well (i.e. it will interpret the code numbers).

If you have OBD I, there are scanners for that as well, you'll just have to look a bit harder. And with the lack of sensors on an OBD I car, it may not really be a worthwhile investment (IMHO).
fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote