View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: 1996 Grand Am 3100 Lower Intake Manifold Gasket...

In 96, Gm used both the roller rocker and ball and socket versions of the 3100 in Grand Ams. First you have to determine which engine you have in this car. If it is the more common roller rocker engine, the M 98003T Fel-Pro gasket is not correct, it fits 3.4-E motors and the 3.1-J, not the 3.1-M. You will need the MS98004T. If this car has the ball and socket rocker arms, then the MS98004T will not fit either. You will have to settle for the OEM plastic design intake set and separate valve cover gaskets for that motor. There are two EGR gaskets, one between the valve and adaptor, and one between the adaptor and plenum. I also always put a paper small-block chevy distributor gasket on the oil pump drive shaft as extra insurance against future leaks (Fel-Pro #70194). I'm not sure that tool will work on roller rockers either, I'd just loosen the rocker studs and re-torque to proper spec when done. I don't see where that tool saves much time. Don't forget to clean the old intake bolts and apply new loc-tite to the threads before re-assembly.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote