View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #110
alco2nr
AF Newbie

Re: Build your own car from SCRATCH?!

To answer sgraber's question, yes I'm scratch building a car.( I'm using a view of the front as an avatar) I call it "Spare Parts" because that's what it mostly consists of. The chassis is 2x3 tubing and 11ga plate steel forming a semi-moncoque platform. The front and rear suspension and steering are from an 86 Chevette. The rear axle and front and rear brakes are from an S-10. The first engine that I used was the 1.6L OHC 4cyl from the Chevette fitted with a hand made intake mounting 4 Mikuni 30mm CV carbs and hand built headers. I recently installed a 1937 Ford V8-60 flathead. The trans is a BW T-5 5spd OD. As for the body, it consists of a combination of front and rear fenders from a 1955 Studebaker pickup, part of the roof panel from a 1947 Nash coupe(trunk lid) , a wheel barrow tub (radiator shell), and hand formed 20ga sheet metal. The design concept was to replicate an early 50s British or Italian 2seat sports roadster as closely as possible while using American auto components and other materials ready to hand. I have been working on it off and on for about 5yrs. It is currently in drivable condition but is not ready for safety inspection and registration. The metal work is nearing completion and then it will be on to surface prep, painting, wiring, interior and final assembly. The car is actually a toy meant for cruise nights and pleasure driving which resembles a full blown competition sports roadster( Which it looks and sounds like) The 135cid flathead is completely stock with only minor additions such as a bigger Stromburg 2bbl carb, electric fuel pump, alternator and microgroove belt drive. The hand built stainless steel headers and 3" side pipes give a VERY throaty exhaust note. I also left out any gaskets when building the headers. This allows a bit of oxygen into the exhaust system which combined with a slightly over rich mixture from the carb makes a very nifty display of flames on de-acceleration. My total cost up to this point is way under $5000. It's built entirely from stock production components, rides and handles beautifully and is absolutely impossible to drive with a straight face! I will be posting an album of the car as soon as I can figure out how to do it. So far I haven't been able to access the control panel. By the way, that's a very beautiful car, sgraber! Being on a similar road I can appreciate the amount of effort behind you! Well done!
alco2nr is offline   Reply With Quote