View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #41
Spectria, L1 MT
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Spectria, L1 MT
Smile Re: If you own a Corvair, SPEAK UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver77 View Post
So I'm looking at my first Corvair- my grandfathers 65 monza. Engine rebuilt 10 yrs ago, now with only 500 miles on it, and its sat for 2 yrs. Its outta town, Im about to fly down and deal with it and what Ive gathered so far (over the phone) is that one of the carbs probably needs a rebuild and maybe it doesnt go in reverse. What worries me, of course, is that transmission. I only have time to fly down and take it to a shop, throw some money at it. Im wondering how much money I can expect to be throwing at it. Lotta guesswork here, I know, but if anyone has any insight or experience here, I'd appreciate it
First, Welcome to Corvairs...
Second, I don't know how far you need to travel, but hauling it to your home turf and getting it worked on locally is always better.
Third, Carb problems can flair up on the road, especially if it hasn't run in awhile, could lead to a fire, not trying to scare you, but flooding from a sticking float can have that result.
If you're set on having it fixed where it is, how do you decide on which shop to use, Corvairs are very special, you could spend thousands if the shop doesn't KNOW Corvairs.
Lastly, you don't need reverse to drive it home, but the fuel problem would keep me off the road until I went through the carbs.
Good luck, ask again if you have anymore questions, had a shop going on 40 years, and I'm edecat'd to! He He!
Dave
Spectria, L1 MT is offline   Reply With Quote