View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: '97-'04 Buick Regal LS/GS Ignition Switch Replacement

First, insert key, and just turn to the "on" position, not the crank position......look at your cluster, for the SECURITY/THEFT light.......when the key is just turned to "on", it should come on for 3-5 seconds and then go out, if you have PassKey I, II, or III.....if you have PassLock, it will stay on......so look at your owner's manual to see what kind of Security system you have....sometimes you can tell by the key....if it has a black resistor pellet in the shaft of the key, it's I or II.....if it has PK3 stamped on it, it is III.....if there is no pellet or marking on the metal shaft of the key, it is PassLock....

So find out what Security system you have(by owner's manual or key), and report back what the SECURITY light is doing....if you have I, II, or III and the light stays on for more than 3 seconds, then that is your problem....

If you have PassLock, the light always stays on, until the car starts.....so attempt to start and then release the key....if the Security light now flashes, again you have a problem with the Security system.......

For a Security light that stays on or flashes, a code is set, and you would need a scan tool capable of reading "B" codes....most code readers/scan tools only read "P" codes.....

Basically what the security system is doing, is, trying to read the "code" of the key(a resistance for I and II, a resistance from PassLock sensor for PassLock, and a radio code transmission for III)....if that signal is not received by the theft deterrent module, then the starter relay is not grounded and the injectors will not fire.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote