View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #30
vintshave
AF Newbie

Question Re: A/C doesn't go on at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
OK, I'm at the point where I need to clear the oil out of the existing original compressor. What is the best way to do this without buying another expensive machine? How much of a pain is it to remove the serpentine belt and the compressor to drain the oil? Is it necesarry to drain the old mineral oil out of the compressor or will 134a run fine with it? If it will run fine with the mineral oil in the compressor, do I have to add additional oil with the refrigerant when I put it in? Another couple of questions?

Serp belt is easy.....then remove the compressor(you will need new seals....you lube the seal/o-rings with mineral oil, not Pag oil)....drain the mineral oil from the compressor, at the drain plug and at the inlet and outlet opening, while manually rotating the clutch.......rule of thumb is, capture and measure the oil out of the compressor....if less than 2 oz, add 2 oz to the compressor at the drain plug hole....if more than 2 oz, add the same amount....but you will be putting 8 Oz total of Pag oil to the system......then manually rotate the compressor clutch to lube the compressor...

I notice that the line containing the orifice tube (after I replaced the tube with a new one) only seems to screw back to about 1/2 of the threads. Is this normal or should it go nearly all the way?

Should go back to the same amount of threads before removal...

I got a replacement accumulator/dryer. It has 3 schrader valves (it's a carquest). One is obviously for the switch and one if the low pressure connection, but what is the 3rd one for? My factory unit just has 2.

Don't worry about it....just use the same two as your original....
OK, I got the belt off and the compressor out. Not an easy task as bolts are in odd spots. I see the oil quantity on the compressor. Question is: I replaced the evaporator and there was very little oil in the compressor. How do I know how much ester oil to add to each of those parts of the system?
vintshave is offline   Reply With Quote