View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
desmo16
AF Newbie

Looking to Start, but too much info...

Hello all,
I am becoming increasingly interested in purchasing a lathe/mill combo. My problem is, being a complete newbie at this sort of thing, I am utterly overwhelmed by what I truly need.
I have visited a couple of sites, and I like what I have read about Sherline, for example. So, some initial questions: is the 4100 (metric versin of the 4000) too basic? Should I spend the extra $$ for a 4400 as this one offers the extended space between centers? (probably not necessary). How important is a digital read out: worth the extra $$? Is a 5100 (again, a metric version of the 5000) milling machine all that most hobbyists will ever need? Is a milling adapter (may not be the correct word. The part that will allow some milling work to be performed by a lathe) good enough, or should I spend the money for a proper mill up-front?
Are all rotary table compatible with the various brands, or are they proprietary designs that can only be used with their 'own' brands?
What specific cutting tools do I need, or is a basic, starter set packaged with the lathe? Are there any others that I should buy besides a possible 'starter set'?
These are a few questions that come to mind right now.
Oh, and of course: what I want to use the lathe/mill for are the standard nuts, headlamp and instrument bezels, shocks, and various other detail parts like brackets, and functions like surface relief work, drilling, etc that can be performed (I saw what is possible in the gallery-very inspiring!).
Thanks in advance,
Michael
desmo16 is offline   Reply With Quote