View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #18
Bryan Burkhalter
AF Newbie

Re: What gives these pigs better fuel economy?

Old thread, yes. But MPG's are near and dear to my heart. I was under the impression that a CAI would improve power, but not necessarily MPG's? I thought that warmer air coming in would improve the fuel economy?

My truck is a 2000 GMC Jimmy, 2wd/4dr with 125K miles. I haven't done anything as far as performance parts goes, I just really baby the truck. Has stock intake/exhaust, standard OEM brake replacements, new sealed hubs. No throttle body spacer, or performance chip mod. I have made several trips recently from Mississippi to Michigan, roughly 1100 miles one way. I normally get about 270-290ish miles to the tank between fill-ups on the highway. My latest trip, I went 346 miles between a particular fill up. The next fill up came at 300 miles, with no real change in driving habit. I kept cruise control on both times as much as possible. Being a man, I'm by nature fairly OCD(obsessive compulsive) so I was watching my RPM's like a hawk. My RPM's stayed fairly stable at about 2100-2200, excluding random speed ups to pass or hills here and there. I have no explanation why there was such a dramatic difference in fuel economy between the tanks. I'm leaving again this coming tuesday from Michigan to Mississippi, so I'll try to get a more thorough picture of the travel and post it(ie-outside temp, road conditions, accessories running, night-vs.-day travel, PSI in tires[supposed to be picking up new wheels/tires on monday, so guessing that may affect mileage too])