View Single Post
Old 09-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #12
MickSz
AF Regular

Thought I’d do a quick update to the Audi R8C project. I pretty much put away the Merc after I prepped and primed it until I catch up with this beast. Work continues on filling all the panel lines so I can start scribing in the new ones.

After priming and the first sanding I began to work on other body prep as well. Amazing what you see after a coat of primer...

Now these side pod openings are posing a bit of a problem...I don’t know what they’re really supposed to look like inside there.....Any ideas ? I have to assume they are ducts of some kind and need to be opened up. So to start with I am removing the back wall of the openings. I will have to dig out my video tapes of the ‘99 race and see if I can see something. Sounds like a good enough reason to rewatch the race

This view from the top show some areas that need a fair bit of cleaning up. At the top of the picture you can see the rear brake ducts. The one on the left (looking at it from the front) is the stock opening. The one on the right I have begun to hollow out with the good ol’ dremel.

The next area is the inside of the open front fenders. The one on the right has been cleaned up where the one on the left is the lovely mess I started with...

The next area is the headlight pods. After priming it was obvious that there was a problem. The headlight pods were outlined but not recessed at all so the clear covers would end up sitting higher than the fender, which is wrong obviously. So I began by rescribing the outer perimeter deeper than normal and then began to slowly scrape away enough of the resin to allow the clear plastic covers to mount flush. I’ve never done a resin kit that needs this much major prep work so for the first time ever I’m going to test fit all the glass before I do much more.

And yes, I have started to rescribe the new panel lines as you can see here.

This last shot shows both headlight pods ready for glass test fitting. That's it for now !

Mick Sz.
MickSz is offline   Reply With Quote