View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 AM   #1
MickSz
AF Regular

LeMans Contest Entries - 99 Mercedes CLR vs. 99 Audi R8C

I had a look on the shelf and decided I didn't want to start anything too complicated so I grabbed a couple of simple resin kits to add to the LeMans Contest Curbside Division. Both kits are 1/24th. In fact all I build is 1/24th.

Entry #1. The Car: 1999 Audi R8C. The predecessor to the almighty R8R, this was the test mule for what was to become the winningest LeMans car of all time.

The kit: Manufactured by Volkl Resin Cars. The kit was purchased off eBay for something like $65.00 USD. I'm glad I didn't pay more for it.....This may be a body and or kit that was destined to be a slot car body because there are some serious problems with the quality of the body itself but I'll get to that later.

The kit is definitely your basic barebones curbside kit with a very basic pan chassis and minimal interior detail. A fairly substantial photo etched sheet and adequate resin wheels with rubber-ish tires. How much of the actual kit that I use is still to be determined.

The body's overall lines are close to the reference material I have available which is minimal I might add..( that was a desperate cry for reference material if anyone has any please) But the panel lines are crooked, wavy and very soft, as if the body was carved out of soap and left to dissolve in the shower.....

So the number one thing to correct was the panel lines and no alternative but for me to fill them and start over...sigh.....

Entry #2: The Car: 1999 Mercedes CLR. Some know it better as the flying car.....This was Mercedes last foray into the LeMans GTP category. Short lived but quite spectacular unfortunately. The car had a tendency to take off like a small aircraft if the conditions were just right. This forced them to withdraw from the 1999 event and we haven't seen them at LeMans since.

The kit: Manufactured by Black Box and purchased for something like $150.00 USD. The kit may be curbside but man, the quality compared to the Audi is MUCH better. The body is very crisp and panel lines only need some quick deepening to accommodate paint thickness.

Roughly the same number of parts as the Audi and now that I look at the wheels, it appears they've given me three rear wheels and one front....hmmm.....Well anyway the wheels are made of white metal and are not that great. I'm wondering if Sakatsu make a set f turned aluminum wheels or perhaps Tamiya have a set somewhere. Any suggestions ?

So off I go on another modeling adventure. Will the Audi be a bear from start to finish ? How about the CLR ? Stay tuned for another episode of LeMans Resin Wars !

Mick Sz.
MickSz is offline   Reply With Quote