View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
OldFaithful
AF Newbie

2000 Windstar 3.8L ATF Filter & Fluid Change

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to read all of the previous posts on ATF change but I probably missed the one that explained the process used fully. The Ford process sounds like you will only get 2 to 3 quarts of fluid out the first attempt. That doesn't make sense to me, so I was looking for confirmation that you can empty out most of the fluid in one step, drop the pan and filter, clean and reassemble and refill. If there is a thread that explains this and the refill process to use, I would appreciate it if someone would steer me to it. I did see the pictures from wiswind and they are worth thousand of words. Thanks for the work that went into those wiswind. They are priceless.

I was going to refill with 15 quarts and take out very close to 15 quarts so that I use and extra 2+ quarts to flush most of the remaining old fluid out of the system. I would have to get the extra fluid out of the return line somewhere during the refill process. With a 6+ quart fluid pan on this unit, you obviously couldn't put 15 quarts in there all at once. I'm guessing that you put in 6 or 7 quarts, then idle the engine to pick up that fluid, shutdown and then put in the rest of the fluid so that when you are finished you have gotten very close to 15 quarts of "old" fluid out equaling the 15 quarts you put in. I'm reading between the lines that I saw to come up with that plan and I am looking for confirmation that it works well this way and if not what is the best way to do this. I did not see a refill process anywhere, so if it is in one of the threads, I would appreciate it if someone could point me in that direction.

I am very aware that you should not continue to pump when there is no fluid draining. The pump would be wet and cool but not for very long if you continue to run it without fluid circulating.
OldFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote