View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

Re: 94 Metro 5 Speed Manual Transmission Rebuild - PART 2 - Assembly

I want to TEST this transmission's functioning "on the bench" to make sure all is well.

Taking my functioning transmission out and putting this rebuilt one in without testing it is the
same thing as jumping out of an airplane with a parachute packed by an amateur ! Absurd.

So - I could not get the Gear Shift Control Joint Manual, p 7A - 10 Item #29 to move in and out -
the joint or "fork" that the gear shift lever inside the car is attached to...

I need leverage !

So, I removed the Yoke Bolt and the Gear Shift Interlock Bolt, pulled the Yoke out, then put the Gear Shift Interlock Bolt back in.

Now I can insert a big Phillips Head screwdriver into the Selector Shaft where the Yoke goes on.

By moving the Selector Shaft in and out and twisting the Phillips Head screwdriver, the transmission easily shifts gears ! Leverage !

Now I can turn the Input Shaft and see the results ! Maybe with my 1/2 inch Black & Decker 600 rpm Drill.

Today I am going to obtain some Rubber Stoppers of 33 mm center diameter to plug the Differential Seal holes
so I can put some oil in this bugger...Formula Shell 20W-50 Motor Oil.

Now all I have to do is figure out the gear positions with a screwdriver in the Selector Shaft...

In any case - I had thought that everything inside the case was jammed all to Hell - it isn't !

Whoopie....

DoctorBill

Last edited by DOCTORBILL; 03-17-2009 at 09:53 PM.
DOCTORBILL is offline   Reply With Quote