Thread: WRX 2.0 rebuild
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
flewthecoupe
AF Enthusiast

WRX 2.0 rebuild

Ok, I'm not a newbie to rebuilding engines... if they are the V or inline versions. Never rebuilt a flat 4 and can't imagine it's much different.

My step son spun 2 rod bearings, 1 and 4. Not much for metal shavings throughout that I could see upon initial inspection but that only included the bottom of the pan, and the oil pick up screen.

The engine has not been pulled yet and I still have to look at and/or measure the cylinder walls, pistons, rings, ring clearances, cranks shaft journals, connecting rods, etc.

I know we can reuse headbolts and block through bolts, etc.

So here is my question, assuming I measure and tolerences come back as still within specs, is there anything aside from rod bearings, main bearings, and a complete gasket set that I should consider replacing on this motor?

It has +/-76,000 miles on it. He has limited funds to work with. Again, assuming much without pulling the engine, I can pull it, boil it, turn the crank, get oversized bearings, replace all gaskets, and update the oil pickup for about $800.

Minumum on a shortblock that I've found is about $1650 and that doesn't include a master gasket set for $250ish plus an upgraded pickup for about the same.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Proper grammar, it's not just for English teachers.

I don't pick on any one person, I treat everyone this way.

My only pleasure is tormenting those people who work for me.

There are no stupid questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Last edited by flewthecoupe; 01-30-2012 at 01:05 PM.
flewthecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote