View Single Post
Old 01-25-2004, 08:27 PM   #16
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: aftermarket bulbs:color temperature and usable light output

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverY2KCivic
Here's what I observed. I was out and about last night driving some local sparsely used unlit roads, so I was able to make good observations with the PIAAs. First and foremost Eckoman is correct that they light at about a 5000K color temp rating. Very differant from the SilverStars I had in. The light output from the Super Plasma GT-X bulbs is the closest to HID I have seen yet in terms of color and look appearance. I'd compare them with Acura TL HIDs running at about half the brightness. But the color is almost exactly the same. I was stopped next to one so that's how I conducted that comparison. With the high beams on they transform into a more white output level of color. They seem to have a blueish/green tint at the edge of the light pattern that I'm not terribly fond of. Still very bright, but definitely NOT any brighter than ther SilverStars. The Silverstars are as bright if not brighter than the PIAAs when in highbeam operation. This could be due to the color temp differance, but maybe not. When the S/S's are in highbeam operation, rather then the light going whiter, they seem to tint slightly BLUER which is opposite of what almost every other bulb does. But I almost liked them better because of that.

As for lowbeam operation each bulb between the S/S's and the Plasma GT-X's they are about equal as far as lumens brightness output. Actually the PIAAs I'd almost go with saying are slightly brighter. Because of the color of the light been emitted from them, they seem to reflect the light back up better off the ground as well as off of road line marks and cateyes, better. When I bought the bulbs, the shop told me I should match a yellow city light bulb with them in my city light sockets to enhance the affect of the GT-X's. I'm thinking of trying that out. rightnow I have Polarg M-4 wedge bulbs in my city light socketsfor my CTR headlights.
You have the Super Plasma GT-X, correct, not the regular Super Plasma? The Regular Super Plasma high beam is "Super White" 3800K (low beam 5000K). The GT-X didn't list the color temp high beam but says "Xtreme White High Beam." Xterme White PIAA's low beam is 4200K, and the High beam is 3950K. It is most likely in between there. The blueish/green tint may be due to the purple coating on the top half of the GT-X bulb, when combined with the light output. I am sure that's partically why it's there. I believe the Silverstars are 4000K for both. I suspect with more lumens shining through, they shows more color due to the increaed brightness, tha's you notice it. Also, since the color temp is already around there, the color temp won't drop, so you won't experience the whiting of the light due to the dropping of the high beam to around 4000K. Also, the max wattage of your silverstars on high beam is 72 watts. I am guessing the slightly higher wattage also increases the color output you noticed at that color temp, since you have increaed light output due to the increased lumans of being on high beam.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote