View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 04:17 AM   #9
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Maserati MC12 Racing 2005 1:24 by E.JAN -Kit Review-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
So, if the kit is wickedly inaccurate - even by your own admission - why do you say it's a great kit? Quite honestly, a kit with that many fundamental flaws is a pretty lousy kit, especially at 200+ dollars.

Hi,

well, to be honest, some months ago I made another kit review of a British racing car of a French manufacturer, that had lots of obvious faults.

I tried to show up the severe mistakes of the body and had (and still have) the impression, that I sit on the “ignore”-list of many AF-members since that time .

The response of some modelers was, that "you must be happy that a small manufacturer builds this kit" or "you better don´t write any negative critics", and they kindly ignore that left and right side of the kit have different dimensions, roof was much too low, etc . That was a 125,- Euro kit (!!! ), however I sold my kit and I prefered to buy a by far better looking and correct built-up Sparc model for the same amount of money .

Looking at the Maserati model I must say, that except of the mistakes I listed I do think it is a well done kit. Like the formerly reviewed kit it is -as I know- the only available kit at the moment, and most of the mistakes I saw here can be corrected (this was different at the kit of the British racing car: if you want to change that kit in a correct model means f.e. that the too flat roof must be lifted and you need new windows ).

However, if I get just decals for the MC12 I will buy an Enzo kit and build a display model with the Scale Speed slot body .

(Another example for uncorrect bodies: Some time ago I bought the Scoda Fabia WRC Red Bull Monte Carlo 2006 kit by domino.be. The same here: the model is more 1:22 than 1:24, front fenders are too high, … Kit price: 100 Euro )

It seems to get harder to find small model manufacturers that make CORRECT models, but on the other side modelers don´t seem to be too much interested in correct kits for the (indeed) high prices. This is what the postings in the thread of the kit review of the British racing told me .

However, nice to see a moderator supporting me to mention here critcs, even the negative ones