View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
gtchamp7
AF Newbie

Re: Oxygen Sensor Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Your O2 sensor is what tells teh computer how to mix the fuel. it's absolutely necessary. Try to locate it in teh same place as stock on teh new exhaust, so it can measure teh exhuast properly. The after cat O2 sensor is, as you surmised, there to tell the computer whether the cat is working properly. it can be removed or made non-functional and it wont' affect how the car runs at all. BUT, as you guessed, it will set off the check engine light. You can reset it, but it will keep coming back on every 60 miles or so. A better idea is to use it, but instead of just putting an O2 senosr bung in the exhuast downstream and deal with it, you shoudl use a spark plug anti-foul device in the O2 sensor bung, drilled out to allow the O2 sensor to mount, maybe doubleing up on it. What this does is to take the rear O2 out of the exhaust stream so it reads as though the proper amount of work is being done by the no longer existing catalytic converter.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...d&spell=1&sa=X

these links show how that's done.
I may try that trick for the second O2 sensor if I keep the first. However, I may go without any O2 sensors. I did some reading since my last post and I think I may have stumbled on a benefit of removing the O2 sensor(s). If anyone on here knows better, please let me know if what I'm about to say is complete bull. Here it goes:

When reading about OBDII tweaking software, I have heard that if you do tweak the ECU, it will basically reset itself with information gathered from the sensors. If the sensors are gone, the ECU can't change what you have already changed. I am going to go sensor-less on the custom air-intake that is soon-to-be-built.

Let me just say this: I hate sensors and computers in cars. I don't want the ECU making decisions for me. I want to make the decisions in my engine. It would be nice if things were manually, mechanically adjustable, but modern cars rely so much on computers. Traction/stability control? Hate it. Which is why I'm glad my car doesn't have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Out of curiosity, why not use a high flow catalytic converter in the exhaust? It can work liek a muffler/resonator and they are rather cheap from Magnaflow (I used a pair of Magnaflow high flow cats in my BMW and removed the mufflers for a high performance exhaust that is still clean)
I want the exhaust to be as unrestricted as possible. The cat. conv. is simply there because the EPA decided to stick their noses into our own personal vehicles and try and 'help save the environment'. The catalytic converter just cuts down my performance. Plus, I live in KY and they are very lax on the emissions testing. However, if worst comes to worst and they decide to start checking again, I'll just slap that cat. conv. on and wait until their testing period is done and take it back off
gtchamp7 is offline   Reply With Quote