View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
jarl
AF Newbie

Re: Gear selector error and other ECU mysteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs3800 View Post
jarl,

I understand what you are talking about... The column pin for the shift indicator is simply out of line... Its merely a string with a pointer that can be adjusted...

as for the issues you are seeing on the tool with the with the van being in and out of park for no reason has more to do with a bad Park Neutral safety Switch on top of the transmission... The PCM uses this to determine if you have selected Park/ Neutral or Drive.... The starter circuit also passes through the switch...

As for the stalling in the driveway will it restart right away? also did you by chance have a Code 361 or 1361? I think you are having a PCM issue but would like to know if you have the above codes...
Thank you JRS,

I'm was just wondering what's going on with the Park/Neutral switch. The car doesn't actually go in and out of park: when you start in park and move the shifter lever through the whole range, the program shows the output of the switch: P->R->N->4->3->2... and then "invalid". If you then go back to 2nd, it will show an invalid output as well. The other positions look ok. So I was thinking that if the position of the gear selector lever is not correctly set in relation to the gearbox, it may happen that the switch ends up in a position that is not really what it should. I.e. it's somewhere in between 1st and 2nd when the lever is in the "1st" position. Does it make sense?

The thing about the car "dying": It happens at idle, and I guess some of the pulling I feel when driving can be the same problem, but no codes are popping up. The OBD log shows the voltage dropping several times (see attachment), although the engine keeps turning. I guess the engine is actually dying for a fraction of a second at a time, but the inertia turns it on again almost immediately. But since I have no codes (yuhuu ) I have no cue about what the problem might be.

The only codes I had where about a bad PRNL switch and bad QDM1 and QDM4. I solved something today by replacing a fuse (15 amps @ convenience center) but I still need to re-scan the car. All I know is that the CEL is off

PD: I just saw something I haven't realized before: the spark advance during the log was at 0°BTDC all the time right until the moment it starts running really rough (last few seconds), and then jumps to 40°BTDC...
Attached Images
File Type: png OBD scan.png (1.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png OBD scan2.png (634 Bytes, 6 views)

Last edited by jarl; 05-01-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Discovered something...
jarl is offline   Reply With Quote