View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #52
carbon02
AF Regular

Re: Replacing the coolant crossover pipe

Both Intrigues have been sold over a year ago, but this thread in my inbox made me post. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Intrigue!

Anyway to the question- The 2002 Intrigue that I had did suffer from having a difficulty getting air out of the coolant system. It takes a lot of time to bleed it. If your not dealing with air in the cooling system, and it's operating ok then I'd leave it.

The 2000 Intrigue was leaking at the front of the crossover manifold.. Dripping near the front headgasket. While it was always drivable, and didn't overheat the coolant leakage became quite noticable. More so when the engine was operated in winter ambient temperatures.

I sold it to a local dealer with this issue, along with the transmission PCS issue. Do some googling on shutterfly.com for 99Intrigue.. He used to post here under the handle KrivasAuto. He had some good pictures of what's involved.

I had difficulty finding a shop that was aware of the LX5 3.5L Engine, and this issue, and was quoted nearly $1500 for the repair. I latter found an old Oldsmobile dealer who knew the issue and would do it for around $700, but I never did.

Good Luck--

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue, 3.5L, GX --81,000 Miles sitting in garage awaiting shift kit P1811, and potential water crossover gasket repair.
carbon02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbon02 For This Useful Post:
juststarted_77 (09-18-2012)