View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #149
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Re: Aoshima has a Supercar secret to share... its a M.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoble View Post
Don't understand why they offer this preseason test version and not a full race version with full livery in the box?
I've been wondering the same question since the kit was announced.
Good thing is that Aoshima is planning to release race versions later (endurance headlight parts are already previewed on FB etc.), and Aoshima's Mr. Supercar sighed at all the license work he had to do.

Fujimi's inaccuracies are fixable. The front is very easy. You just add a piece of plastic to extend the nose by 2 mm or so, and apply putty to blend with the body. The rear is more involving, and I'm only fixing once, and copy the part. Fujimi's long tail kit has a great value as a curbside thanks to standard PE and Cartograf decals.

Level of details in Aoshima kit is not toned down. In fact, it's better than expected. Engine details are superb, and the steering is a four-piece assembly, which is unusual in 1/24 scale.
But Aoshima kit does have minor and minor problems. There's no gear box, but only the top part is represented, and the rear lower suspension arms are molded with the floor, which is a turn off.
More serious problem is on the front cowl. Left and right louvers are lined up, but they should be angled when viewed from the top. Headlight covers and louvers seems too large (or sit too far to the sides). There should be a narrow space between the press line on the finder arch and the line that travels along the side of the headlight cover and the louvers. This will be harder to fix than Fujimi's nose.

Despite shortcomings, I think both kits are fine for what they are. Aoshima offers great details, while Fujimi kits are economical alternatives for those who build several curbside kits. Since I build in both styles, I got both.

Fujimi decals work in most cases, except for the ones that are cut along the panel lines. Panel lines don't match exactly between the two kits, and you'll have to either cut a portion of the decal, or touch up the missing area.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hirofkd For This Useful Post:
chris24 (04-03-2014), ZoomZoomMX-5 (04-03-2014)