View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #1
jfoxxtail
AF Newbie

Unhappy engine light started blinking when going up hills, now it is always on

I recently swapped motors with another jimmy that had less miles. Not long after the engine was installed the engine light would blink when going up hills. When I would level out it would go off. When the speed was accelerated quickly to about 70mph/120kph the light would come on again. I changed the rotor and distributor as a start and nothing changed. I then changed the fuel filter and nothing changed. I added some octane boost fluid and it got worse, now the light is always on flashing.
When it is idling in park it runs very roughly like it is really misfiring. When it is on the road travelling it still has same horsepower but light is still on. Idling is biggest problem I have. Smell of exhaust is very rich, very gasoline-like, smells like it is a mixture problem.
I had it hooked up to a code reader but the reader said that the computer in the jimmy was shot. If I replace this computer will it correct idling problems? Help, do not have much $$$ to start taking it to shops to figure out. Thanks.
jfoxxtail is offline   Reply With Quote