View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Cusser
AF Regular

Re: 2005 GMC Yukon Denali AC belt breakage issue

The new AC tensioner did not help; an insert in its box showed photos of a tensioner damaged by compressor slugging, and my tensioner looked exactly like that. So rather than risk damage to AC system (was still cooling great) orifice tube or accumulator, I have ordered a replacement Denso OE compressor ($208) and a deslugger timer ($38) from Rock Auto. We need the AC here in Arizona, and our summer is 9 months long.

So I'm waiting for those, right now the AC compressor fuse has been removed so no additional damage can occur. Ignoring this would result in continued belt breakage, and eventual (maybe soon) compressor destruction, could even crack the compressor case and take out the automatic transmission lines worst-case scenario.

Compressors breaking belts constantly are all over the Internet, and the TSB from 2004 says to replace the compressor. The issue is due to a design flaw where the compressor is located lower than the rest of the system; however, it did last 164K miles, way longer than the R4 compressors on my 1988 and 1994 Suburbans...
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote