View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Cusser
AF Regular

2005 GMC Yukon Denali AC belt breakage issue

Engine Size: 6.0 lit.

2005 GMC Yukon Denali AC belt breakage issue, 6.0 liter gas engine. No work EVER done on its AC system previously, 164K miles.

A few weeks ago my small (separate) AC serpentine belt had just snapped after 3 years (Gates) on our GMC, no signs of slippage or wear, clean break. The AC compressor readily turned by hand (seemed normal) and the little tensioner pulley also was smooth and silent. I replaced the AC belt with another Gates belt, since everything else seemed OK, and AC seemed to work fine for a few weeks, but yesterday the new small AC belt broke again; this time the AC belt tensioner pulley doesn't feel so good. I looked this up on Google and this is a known GM issue at least until 2004, even a TSB. Any thoughts? How could the compressor be slugging when it has same refrigerant/oil as it's had in the past? Thanks.

A new Gates AC tensioner assembly is like $35, seems a lot less involved than anything involving the AC compressor, think I want to go that path and try that unless I hear something here. Ever hear of an AC compressor deslugger timer? Like Murray # 36141 ? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=36141
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote