View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #21
joeyike
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Acura Integra Alternator

I just did it last week. It's not that hard but takes about an hour

With car on ground remove L/S axle nut, remove the battery grnd cable
Jack up car put jack stands under body not lower arm, remove tire, remove cotter pin on lower ball joint
remove lower strut bolt and nut. Remove lowr ball joint nut and use a pickle fork or puller, seperate spindle from lwr arm.
Gently tap axle out of hub. Use a large punch in hole do not ap out the threads,
After axle is out of hub, turn spindle assy and support axle.
Go under the car and pry the axle from the center bearing support. DO NOT pull the axle from shaft- this will dislodge the bearing. It can be tricky put take your time. Thier is a internal snap ring in the axle - that is why it needs to be pryed out. Use a large screw driver it a 3/16 or 1/4 head. Remove the axle holding the shaft not the ends.
Located the alt top bolt and nut remove it. lossen the lwr bolt, slide the alt over and remove the belt. Remove the lower bolt.
Position the alt so that you can diconnect the regulator pug and battery Cable.
Remove the 3 mounting bolts from the alt support to the engine.
Remove the alt throught he opening where the axle was.
Assembly is reverse. Change the alt belt now it easier now than later. You will need to remove the pwr steering pump belt and Air Comp (if it has AC).
Replace the Axle nut also tighten to 135 ft lbs and crimp the end to the notch in the shaft. Replace the cotter pin on the ball jiont .The idiot I got my car from used a roofing Nail ! Have fun.
joeyike is offline   Reply With Quote