View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #28
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: selecting the best used car for my needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpuker View Post
1) Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Audi, VW, etc...

2) Way to take a statement out of context, I'm using it to support the fact that FWD gets less traction.

3) Even if you suggest him a 2WD option RWD is still the better option.

And to Magic Rat, BMW's are great winter drivers. Not sure where that BS comment came from.

And way to 3 on 1 this crap.
Well, lets see here, hmmm. I wasn't taking anything out of context, just addressing some points you made, (not all of them.)
You stated in an earlier post that most FWD cars are imported. I don't know how it is in Colorado, but at least in my area the majority of FWD cars are still made by the Big 3 (GM, Ford, and Chrysler.) This was and still is in some cases a manufacturing town for these companies and the workforce for these are unionized, hence the loyalty to the brand. Parts are still generally less expensive and readily available.
On your 'idea' that FWD gets less traction. With current technologies plus a good set of snows I'd pin a FWD against a 4x4 , RWD or a AWD and see what happens. Chances are if the driver has the ability and experience to drive in the snow , they will do well, if not better.Heck even without some of the current aids to driving like traction control and stability control, the FWD still will perform well.
If the driver is inexperienced in winter driving they should not consider driving a 4x4 or AWD because they could be lulled into a false sense of security that seems to exist that these types of vehicles are better and not pay as close attention to their driving.
Castle Rock Co. gets on average 59" of snow.source. We can get that over the course of 2 to 3 days, and places just a half hour from me can get that in a day . When you start getting over 150" of snow a year then you can come back and discuss the merits of driving in snow and which is better.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote