View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #17
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Airtex Fuel Pumps - Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in OK View Post
Well, I had one of the Airtex 3270 fuel pumps installed on my '97 GMC 1500 yesterday by a local garage whom I trust. The truck has 94,000 miles on it and this will be the third replacement fuel pump. My dad owned the truck for its first 50,000 miles. The OEM pump lasted about 36,000 miles. The first replacement (don't know the brand but it was purchased at O'Reilly) lasted about 20,000 miles and the last pump (a Carter P74167) lasted a little over 37,000 miles. I had never heard of the Airtex brand until I looked them up on the net last night. The mechanic who towed the truck home on Sunday suggested that I replace everything when I had the pump replaced (screen, filter, wiring harness, etc) which I did. I will be replacing the filter every six months so we will see how it goes. I hope Norwood, etc, are wrong about these pumps. I know that O'Reilly and Autozone still sell them in this area. You can get the Delphi brand but I am not sure they are any better and they are definitely much more expensive (though not as expensive as the labor, etc to replace the pump). Since nobody has posted on this link in a couple of years maybe the Airtex people have cleaned up their act a bit.
Best to start a new thread instead of opening up a old post.

Rick is right on the money.
Airtex are junk and still are.
The GM Delphi pump is only 25$ more.

Carquest is the only smart one.
They have droped airtex like a hot spud.

O'Rielly and AZ and other aftermarket places are slow learners and still push the junk Airtex pumps.

The must make more money on selling them but it cost the customer big bucks in the end.

If you are having problems on the OEM pump or a Delphi pump you may have a wiring problem or one of the people that run there fuel tank on empty or do not keep over a 1/4 tank of fuel in it.
Also dirty fuel or plugged fuel filter will burn up a pump.

Run a search on fuel pump problem on AF and you will see many problems with Airtex junk pumps.